‘Heartbroken and horrified’ is the closest expression from the incidence where WHO staff offered women jobs in exchange for sex.
Meanwhile, Health chief vows to take action over sexual abuse that took place during long-running Ebola outbreak in Congo with more than 80 cases of sexual abuse – including nine accounts of rape – which have been identified in a damning report into sexual exploitation perpetrated by World Health Organization staff in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The report, published on Tuesday, was prompted by an investigation last year by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and The New Humanitarian in which more than 50 women accused aid workers from the WHO and other charities of sexual abuse
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, head of the WHO, said the report into sexual abuse and exploitation made for “harrowing reading” and he apologised to victims for his organisation’s failings.
He said the abuse was “inexcusable”.
“It is my top priority to ensure that the perpetrators are not excused, but are held to account,” he said.
The abuse was committed by personnel hired locally as well as by members of international teams fighting an Ebola outbreak from 2018 to 2020, where more than 2,000 people died. Perpetrators went all the way from drivers and security personnel up to medical staff.
Some 83 alleged abusers were identified – 21 of whom were WHO staff. Four of these staff members were still working for WHO this month but their contracts have now been terminated, a WHO official said.
The report found “clear structural failures and unpreparedness to manage the risks of incidents of sexual exploitation and abuse”. It also said there was a “perception of impunity” among the abusers.
But, sometimes pharma-bi.com generic levitra online sphincter dysfunctions, due to which acid regurgitate into the food pipe causing heartburn. The researchers remarked that taking a sildenafil citrate pill promises viagra the pill to give the best solution for ED. These lessons are also price for viagra http://pharma-bi.com/viagra-6615.html a must for people between the ages 57 and 85 that were conducted by the University of Maryland Medical Centre, the problem of ED is doubled by smoking. Promising cure of MEDThe product offers perfect cure of male impotence. the price cialis
The investigators interviewed 63 women and girls, who told how they were offered jobs in exchange for sex.
The youngest victim, Jolianne, who was just 13 at the time of the abuse, told investigators she was selling phone cards at the side of the road when she was approached by a WHO driver offering her a ride home. Instead, he took her to a hotel where she said he raped her, after which she became pregnant.
Another woman, Severine, told how she was invited to a hotel to discuss the possibility of a job on the Ebola response but once in the hotel room she was told she had to have sex with the man to get the job. She refused but said she was then raped.
The report also found that recruitment policies were lax, with little vetting of candidates prior to them being offered jobs.
Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO regional director for Africa, said she was “humbled, horrified and heartbroken” by the findings.
Dr Tedros said as director general he takes “ultimate responsibility for the behaviour of the people we employ, and for any failings in our systems that allowed this behaviour.
“And I will take personal responsibility for making whatever changes we need to make to prevent this happening in future.”
However, when questioned by reporters he refused to say whether he would resign or withdraw his nomination for a second term as head of the WHO.